WARSAW, Ill. -- A fire Thursday night heavily damaged the C and J's Cafe building at 420 Main St. in Warsaw.
According to The Herald-Whig's news gathering partners at WGEM, a man and woman in an apartment above the cafe escaped safely after the fire broke out shortly before 7 p.m.
The man in the apartment, Timothy Mondon, said he started smelling burning plastic and wood. He said he felt something was "off," and when he walked to the back of his apartment, he saw flames coming up the back of the building.
The Warsaw Fire Department is across the street from the building, so firefighters managed to arrive quickly and kept the fire from getting out of hand.
The apartment sustained damage, but Mondon said they will be able to stay with family for a few days.
Witnesses said smoke was coming out the back of the building when fire crews pulled up to the building.
Residents said the owner of the cafe is on vacation.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known.