Police & Courts

St. Louis man pleads guilty in connection with C-SC lockdown

Maxwell Webber
By Herald-Whig
Posted: Jun. 16, 2017 4:45 pm Updated: Jun. 16, 2017 5:24 pm

MONTICELLO, Mo. -- A St. Louis man has pleaded guilty in connection with a campus lockdown last year at Culver-Stockton College.

Court records show Maxwell D.L. Webber, 19, pleaded guilty Friday to one count of felonious restraint during a plea hearing in Lewis County Circuit Court.

Webber was scheduled to face a three-day trial June 21 in Adair County, where the case was moved on a motion for a change of venue.

Sentencing is set for July 31 in Adair County.

The campus was locked down Nov. 29 for more than 2 1/2 hours after the Canton Police Department received a report of a person being threatened with a gun near the Joe Charles Fieldhouse.

Webber, who was a student at the time, is accused of pointing a semiautomatic handgun at another student. Police said they were supposed to meet for a marijuana purchase.

During the December 2016 preliminary hearing, Lewis County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Corey Moon played a cellphone video that reportedly shows Webber brandishing a gun and making threats just minutes after law officers arrived. A photo from Shannon Hall surveillance camera also reportedly showed Webber possessing a gun, which he obtained from another student's dorm room.

In a 911 call also played in court, C-SC assistant volleyball coach Daniel Cabrera told the dispatcher that a student told him that a man named "Maxwell" threatened him with a gun.

As part of the guilty plea, charges of unlawful use of a weapon, armed criminal action and first-degree attempted robbery were dropped.

Webber was being held in the Lewis County Jail on a $50,000 cash-only bond, but Judge Rick Roberts agreed to set a personal recognizance bond over the objection of Prosecuting Attorney Jake DeCoster allowing for his release.

Sign up for Email Alerts

Things to Do