Quincy News

First white bulb added to QFD station wreaths

Posted: Dec. 4, 2017 9:10 am

QUINCY -- One red bulb has been changed to white on all Quincy Fire Department station wreaths after a grease fire Thursday at 647 Ohio.

On Thursday, a resident at 647 Ohio had used his kitchen stove, forgotten to shut the burner off and went outside for a period of time, a QFD statement said. A neighbor noticed flames and alerted the resident to the fire.

When crews arrived at the residence, the resident reported he had extinguished the fire, the department stated. The resident had no working smoke or carbon monoxide detectors, the department added.

QFD recommends that people frying, grilling or broiling food remain in the kitchen while doing so; if you must leave the kitchen, turn off the stove.

The department also advises that if a person decides to fight a small grease fire, smother the flames by sliding a lid over the pan and turning off the burner. For an oven fire, turn off the heat and leave the oven door closed.

Working smoke detectors should be within 15 feet of all rooms used for sleeping and on every level of the home, QFD said.

Things to Do

Sign up for Email Alerts