Hannibal News

Fire at Hannibal Middle School contained to dryer

Posted: Apr. 13, 2018 11:45 am

HANNIBAL, Mo. -- A Friday morning fire in an electric dryer at Hannibal Middle School, 4700 McMasters Ave., was extinguished before the Hannibal Fire Department arrived on scene.

Assistant Chief Justin Sanders said the fire crews were called to the school at 8:24 a.m. and upon arrival an employee had put out the fire with a dry-chemical fire extinguisher.

Crews remained on scene for 40 minutes to clear smoke out of the cafeteria area.

In a recorded call to parents, Principal Matt Nimmo said that the fire alarm was triggered and all 800 students were evacuated within one minute and 20 seconds.

Nimmo said all students returned to class.

Things to Do

Sign up for Email Alerts