Police & Courts

Fireworks blamed in blaze that damaged Ralls County home

Posted: Jul. 9, 2018 9:45 am

HANNIBAL, Mo. -- Fireworks are being blamed for a Sunday night fire that damaged a Ralls County home.

Hannibal Rural Fire Protect District firefighters responding to the report of a structure fire at 11861 Fir Place found a neighbor with a garden hose attempting to control a fire in the laundry room of Christine Ogden's home.

A news release from Fire Chief Mike Dobson said the home was full of light smoke, and firefighters set up ventilation, entered the structure and fully extinguished the fire in about 10 minutes. Dobson said firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to determine that fire had not extended to the attic area.

Investigation revealed that Ogden was supervising her 12-year-old son lighting fireworks when a large box of fireworks close to the home caught fire. Fire damage was limited to the laundry room and back corner of the home, and fire also damaged a riding lawnmower that was located close to the box of fireworks.

Ogden reported she had received two burns to her back while attempting to get away from the exploding fireworks. She was checked at the scene by Marion County Ambulance personnel but declined treatment.

Dobson said the fire department credits the neighbor for keeping damage to a minimum.

Firefighters were on the scene for a little more than 90 minutes. No firefighters were injured in battling the blaze.

Sign up for Email Alerts

Things to Do