Quincy girl airlifted to Springfield after being rescued from fire; overloaded extension cord cause of blaze

A Quincy firefighter works out of a charred second story window where a house fire broke out early Tuesday morning at 303 Ohio. (H-W Photo/Phil Carlson)
Posted: Jan. 3, 2012 6:38 am Updated: Jan. 17, 2012 7:15 am
Quincy firefighters rescued a child Tuesday morning from the second story of a burning home at 303 Ohio. Family members got out of the two-story structure when fire broke out around 6:15 a.m., but the child was trapped upstairs. (H-W Photo/Phil Carlson)

Herald-Whig Staff Writer

A 15-month-old child was airlifted to St. John's Hospital in Springfield Tuesday morning after Quincy firefighters rescued the girl from the second story of a burning home at 303 Ohio.

The girl, Ella Cain, is the daughter of Elvis Cain and Sarah Ginster. Her condition was unknown. Another child, Grady Ginster, 5, escaped the burning two-story structure with his mother when fire broke out about 6:15 a.m. Sarah Ginster broke out windows in the home to get herself and Grady out of the home, but Ella was trapped in an upstairs bedroom, fire officials said.

Ginster was home with the kids, and Elvis Cain was at work, Fire Chief Joe Henning said.

"At some point, the older child came down and told Mom he smelled smoke," Henning said. "Mom was downstairs and tried to make it upstairs but was unable to do so."

Ginster then went next door to the home of Robert and Sharon Cain, who own the home and rent it to their son.

"Grandpa tried to make entry but couldn't make it," Henning said.

The fire was caused by an overloaded extension cord across the bedroom from the 15-month-old's bed, Assistant Chief James Pioch Jr. said.

"I don't know nothing yet. All I know is the baby was upstairs sleeping when it was smoking," Christopher Cain, Elvis' older brother, said.

Henning said the first firefighters on scene from Engine 5 arrived soon after and learned the child was still inside the home.

"They did go inside and find that individual and bring them out," Henning said.

Henning said firefighters found fire at the west window of the home's second floor, near where the girl was sleeping. Twelve firefighters were on the scene.

"The windows were still intact. The fire wasn't venting yet, so the heat and smoke and everything were still contained inside," Henning said.

"Heavy concentration of fire was in the front western part of the building," Henning said.

Christopher Cain lives two blocks away at Fourth and Kentucky. A neighbor called him to let him know about the fire.

"I could see the smoke. It was smoking so bad. The smoke had an orange color, a fire color," he said. "By the time I got here, I didn't see no flames nowhere. All I seen was barrels of smoke."

Standing in the middle of the street outside the home, Cain pointed to the home's upper story with its blackened, empty window frames while curls of smoke still rose into the air.

"This is the baby's bedroom right here, the front one," Cain said. "The little one in the middle. That's the (oldest) boy's bedroom."


Sign up for Email Alerts