Good News of Christmas FAQs

Posted: Nov. 13, 2012 10:52 am Updated: Nov. 12, 2013 3:15 pm

Q: How can I be a Good News family this year?
A: The families have already been chosen for the 2012 Good News program. They are nominated for the program by caseworkers from local social service agencies. Families seeking Christmas assistance for gifts for their children can apply for Toys for Tots at Catholic Charities or for the Salvation Army Toy Town/Angel Tree program.

  • Catholic Charities – 620 Maine; (217) 222-0958
  • Salvation Army – 333 N. Sixth; (217) 222-2087

Families who wish to be considered for Good News next year need to talk with the counselors at their children's schools or caseworkers at agencies from which they receive services (Department of Human Services, Quincy Housing Authority, Transitions, etc.). The process to identify Good News families begins in August/September of each year.

Q: How can I adopt a Good News family?

A: The United Way of Adams County is coordinating the adoption process for the Good News cases. Individuals, families, churches, businesses and civic groups are invited to adopt a family and have the opportunity to shop for gifts for the children and adults in the home. Please contact Emily at (217) 224-1223 to adopt a family and make their Christmas one filled with happiness and joy.

Q: How can I volunteer for the Good News program?

A: Volunteers are needed to shop for families using the Good News charge account, sort donated gifts and wrap/label presents. Groups are encouraged to come together and volunteer.

If you are interested in serving as a Good News volunteer, call Dustin Hall or Nathan Daly at (217) 506-1783 or stop by the Good News Volunteer Center, which will be open Nov. 26 to Dec. 12 in the Quincy Mall Community Room. Hours will be 6-9 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1-5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. Volunteers are a big part of the success of the Good News program. Call to see how you can lend your hands to make a difference.

Q:  How can I donate big ticket items such as used appliances/furniture?

A: The Good News program is not equipped to accept used appliances or furniture. If you have gently used furniture to donate to those in need, we encourage you to contact a local thrift store.

Q: How can I donate my services to a family in need (car repair, home repair, dental, etc.)?

A: The United Way of Adams County is coordinating the fulfillment of Big Ticket requests such as needs for services. Please contact Emily at (217) 224-1223 to see how your skills can be a blessing for a Good News family.

Q: How can I donate money to the Good News campaign?

A: Monetary support for the Good News of Christmas campaign can be sent to the Quincy Herald-Whig, 130 S. Fifth, Quincy, Ill. 62301, or can be dropped off at the Quincy Mall Community Room while the Volunteer Center is open. If you want your gift to be directed to a specific family, please note the Good News case number on your check and it will be used to purchase items for that family. Contributions are tax-deductible and gifts of all sizes are welcome. Every donation to the Good News campaign has a direct impact on the families served.

Q: Where can I donate gifts to the Good News campaign?

A: Donations of new clothes and toys (please, no used items) can be placed in red drop boxes that will be at the following Quincy businesses: ShopKo, Quincy Mall service desk area near Krieger's, outside Bergner's, outside Penney's, Farm & Home Supply, Wal-Mart, Kmart, Sam's Club and The Quincy Herald-Whig.

Things to Do

Sign up for Email Alerts