Wilson's shot caps Hawks' furious rally past Bulldogs

Quincy University’s Chris Babbitt and Truman State’s Mike Carlson hit the floor in a battle for a loose ball in front of the Hawks’ bench during the first half of Tuesday night’s game at Pepsi Arena. The Hawks battled back from an early 20-2 deficit to pu
Posted: Nov. 21, 2012 12:06 am Updated: Dec. 12, 2012 1:15 am

Herald-Whig Sports Writer

Jordan Wilson had a chance to fire a 3-pointer from about 23 feet.

He passed it up, much to the delight of his coach and teammates.

Wilson, a sophomore point guard on the Quincy University men's basketball team, passed on the long jumper with five seconds remaining in Tuesday's game against Truman State.

Instead, he dribbled past his defender and lofted a 12-foot floater over the outstretched hand of Truman's 6-foot-9 forward Mike Carlson and through the net to give QU a 62-60 win at Pepsi Arena.

"Jordan did a great job of realizing that at the end of the game, you can't shoot threes unless you're wide open," QU sophomore forward Scott Hahn said. "He got to the hoop and made something happen. That's what you have to do at that point. ... Last year, I think he would've shot that (3-pointer), and I this year he's matured so much in his game, he's learning he needs to get to the hoop."

Tied at 60 with 14 seconds remaining, QU coach Marty Bell called a timeout and designed a play to get senior forward Tyler Thompson the ball isolated on the right wing.

The Bulldogs were ready for the play, and Thompson had nowhere to go once he received possession. So he dished back to Wilson, who is often found of lengthy 3-point attempts but thought better of it with time winding down.

"I saw the three, but then I saw a little lane, a little crease, and I went in there and shot a floater," Wilson said. "I could have pulled (the trigger on the 3-pointer), but (Bell) has been stressing, late in the clock, drive to the basket."

Wilson made his shot with 0.7 seconds remaining, and Truman didn't get a final shot off in time.

Wilson's basket completed a major comeback for the Hawks, who trailed 20-2 after Truman's Marek Bush made a jumper with 10:17 remaining in the first half.

"I was so proud of our tenacity and our perseverance tonight," Bell said. "We needed this for our confidence level. I think it was really important that we gained some confidence from a tight, late-game situation."

Turnovers plagued the Hawks (2-1) during that opening stretch. QU turned the ball over eight times in its first 10 possessions and committed 20 turnovers overall.

"Coach always says to weather the storm, and we basically just let the storm pass by, and we found a way to bounce back," Wilson said.

QU's fortunes seemed to turn with about 8 1/2 minutes remaining in the first half when Ryan Stuckman had steals on back to back possessions.

The second steal -- one of Stuckman's game-high six steals -- led to a 3-pointer from Austin Weber. That came as part of a 22-5 run for the Hawks.

"Those were just huge steals for us in the first half, momentum-wise," Hahn said.

QU took the lead for the first time when Hahn drained a 3-pointer with 12:38 to play that put the Hawks ahead 42-41.

It was the first of three triples in a span of less than three minutes for Hahn, who led QU with 16 points and was 4 for 6 from 3-point range.

"He was just getting loose and feeling confident," Bell said of Hahn's 3-point flurry. "Those are good shots for him. If you're in rhythm and you're stepping in and on balance, those are good shots. And those all were good shots."

QU led by as many as seven points seven different times in the second half, but the Bulldogs never let their deficit slip to any more than that.

Trailing 60-53, Truman (1-3) went on a 7-0 run, capped by Cory Myers' layup with 37 seconds left.

But the Bulldogs couldn't get the defensive stop they needed on the next possession even though they were ready for QU's play.

"I thought they were going to run it for (Chris) Babbitt, but they ran it for Thompson, but it was the same play we drew up in the huddle," Truman coach Matt Woodley said. "They ran the (isolation), and we took it away, and then they just threw it out to Wilson. ... He dribbled in there and made a nice play."

Wilson's shot erased the memories of the way the Hawks started the game.

"Our guys didn't give up, and we never will," Hahn said.


Sign up for Email Alerts