News

Several animals rescued from Payson Ave. house fire

Adams County EMT Ryan Miller, left, and Paramedic Casey Mercurio provide oxygen to cats as their owner, Therese Holford, watches. The cats, along with other pets, were rescued from a house fire Wednesday morning at 1416 Payson Ave. (H-W Photo/Matt Hopf)
Posted: Nov. 21, 2012 10:36 am Updated: Dec. 5, 2012 11:15 am

By MATT HOPF
Herald-Whig Staff Writer

Several dogs, cats and other pets were saved from a house fire Wednesday morning at 1416 Payson Ave.

Quincy firefighters were dispatched to the scene at 8:49 a.m. after receiving reports of smoke at the residence.

"Upon arrival, they had an occupant outside after multiple attempts by her to rescue some of her many pets," Quincy Deputy Fire Chief Steve Salrin said. "Crews made entry inside and found the fire to be located in the kitchen area on the southeast corner of the home. The fire was extinguished quickly."

After the fire was extinguished, firefighters carried out cats and ferrets that were found inside the home.

Homeowner Therese Holford was examined and released at the scene.

"The homeowner was attended to by EMS personnel, because she had taken in significant amount of smoke, just based on the soot on her face, in her attempt to get to her animals," Salrin said.

Adams County paramedics used specialty masks to provide oxygen to animals that were having difficulty breathing following the fire.

An investigation later revealed that the fire was started by a candle in the home and accidental in nature.

-- mhopf@whig.com/221-3391

 

In Case You Missed It

'LIVE UNTIL I DIE': Quincy woman with metastatic cancer focuses on goals
Beth Calabotta doesn't know how much time she has left. The 48-year-old Quincy resident is living with a cancer-induced death sentence. But Calabotta isn't about to roll over and let the cancer get the best of her. "You can't sit around and think, 'Oh, I'm going to die,'" she said.