Fire caused by outdoor Christmas decorations destroys garage on Gayla Drive

Posted: Nov. 28, 2012 8:39 am Updated: Dec. 12, 2012 9:15 am

Electrical problems caused the fire that destroyed a garage at 1503 Gayla Drive Tuesday night.

The electrical service was for outdoor Christmas decorations.

Owner John Hummel arrived at home about 9:30 p.m. to find smoke coming from the front portion of his detached two-car frame garage and called 911.

Tri-Township Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Darren Smith said the fire fully engulfed the garage. Lost were lawn and woodworking equipment and various other items.

Fourteen firefighters were on the scene until 11:30 p.m. There were no injuries.


In Case You Missed It

'There's always going to be that hole': North Shelby football team playing through pain of losing teammate, classmate
The North Shelby community was rocked when four students were in a car crash on Sept. 24. North Shelby student Joshua Kennison was pronounced dead at the scene, while freshman football player Jakob Pratt died Oct. 11. The Raiders know it is a journey to move past the tragedy that struck their community over the last month, but they know they can do things to help the process.