News

Quincy Fire Department says cigarette cause for fire at 1016 1/2 State

Posted: Nov. 28, 2012 12:39 pm Updated: Dec. 12, 2012 1:15 pm

 

A house fire Tuesday at 1016 1/2 State is believed to have been caused by a cigarette.

Quincy Fire Department investigation revealed that the occupant had been smoking. The resident admitted to snuffing out the cigarette on the wood railing and then throwing the butt on the ground below the deck. A fire burned from that spot toward the house, catching the outside of the house on fire.

Firefighters extinguished the fire before it burned into the interior of the residence, which was owned by David Eversden.

 

In Case You Missed It

Silver Saukees: Pittsfield's state title team to reunite after 25 years
Tony Baker recently watched a video of the 1991 Class A state championship game with his 11-year-old daughter. It had been several years since Baker, an all-stater as a senior at Pittsfield High School, had seen the game. "I sure was awful skinny, and those shorts were awful short," he said with a laugh. "But it was neat to watch. It's kind of a blur, but I can remember plays that were called in every game. It's so surreal."