Other local people who have received Carnegie Hero Medals include:
• Charles B. Evans unsuccessfully tried to save Frank Scherrer from suffocation in Mendon in 1906.
• Beryl Parker of Carthage saved her brother from drowning but could not save two sisters from drowning in 1911. Her brother, Sanford Parker Jr., was awarded for his actions in the same incident.
• Alexander James Campbell, a 69-year-old farmer, saved a 15-year-old girl from drowning in Crooked Creek in Mount Sterling in 1918.
• Thomas F. Gasberry of Hannibal, Mo., saved a 4-year-old girl from being killed by a train in 1926.
• Carl Blum of Nauvoo unsuccessfully tried to save a 15-year-old boy from drowning in 1932.
• Glenn A. Miller of Hamilton died while trying to save a 9-year-old boy from drowning in the Mississippi River in 1936.
• Kenneth G. Hunsaker of Camp Point went into a house fire and rescued Anna Hornecker in 1948. Hornecker died four days later.
• Jerome Lee of Hamilton saved Elizabeth Harris from drowning in the Mississippi River in July 2001.