Extension cord blamed for afternoon fire on Quincy’s north side - Quincy Herald-Whig | Illinois & Missouri News, Sports

Extension cord blamed for afternoon fire on Quincy’s north side

Posted: Updated:
Quincy firefighters get ready to fight a fire in a house at 917 N. Fourth, seen in the background. (H-W Photo/Steve Bohnstedt) Quincy firefighters get ready to fight a fire in a house at 917 N. Fourth, seen in the background. (H-W Photo/Steve Bohnstedt)
irefighters outside house at 917 North 4th Street. Paul Carel, who rented the house, says his family lost everything. (H-W Photo) irefighters outside house at 917 North 4th Street. Paul Carel, who rented the house, says his family lost everything. (H-W Photo)

By DON O'BRIEN
Herald-Whig Staff Writer

An improperly used/maintained extension cord was blamed for a fire during the noon hour Thursday at a two-story brick structure at 917 N. Fourth, according to a press release from the Quincy Fire Department.

All five people inside a Quincy home safely escaped, but the building was a total loss. The three-alarm fire was quickly extinguished by the Quincy Fire Department, but everything that Paul Carel and his family owned was lost in the blaze.

"They said we lost everything. Everything is gone," Carel said as he stood across the street from the house that his family has rented for the last four months. "All of the stuff I've worked for, I've worked hard for. I work 10 hours a day, sometimes seven days a week or six days a week."

Quincy Fire Chief Joe Henning said the department got a number of calls on the fire from neighbors. The first firefighters were dispatched at 12:32 p.m.

"When we arrived there was fire on the first floor and the fire was visible on the second floor," Henning said. "We got a good hit on the fire and downgraded to two alarms pretty quickly after we got here."

The building sustained heavy smoke and water damage in addition to fire damage.

Carel said his family quickly evacuated the building after it noticed the fire. Carel's wife, Loretta, his three grandchildren — ages 1, 3, and 4 — and the children's father, Paul Fields, safely exited the building and found shelter at a neighbor's house.

"They were in kitchen and smelled smoke," Carel said. "They walked into the front room and noticed the closet had smoke and fire coming out of it. They gathered everything and got out."

Carel, who works at U.S. Cooler, was at work when the fire started.

"My foreman came up and hollered at me and told me to grab my coat and to come on," he said. "He told me on the way home that my house was on fire."

Tax records indicate the property belongs International Properties Inc., owned by Chris Bickhaus.

Carel did not know what was next for his family.

"I guess we'll have to wait until the Red Cross gets here to see if they can help us out," Carel said. "We really don't have nowhere to go right now."

Henning said investigators from the QFD were going to inspect the building to try to find the reason for the blaze.

The fire was the second in a 14-hour span that QFD firefighters had to battle. Just after 10 p.m. Wednesday night, firefighters responded to a call at 422 Maiden Lane on Quincy's southwest side. Dan Dietrich, 52, died in that fire. Dietrich was the first person to die in a residential fire in Quincy in more than four years.

— dobrien@whig.com/221-3370

  • Local HeadlinesLocal HeadlinesMore>>

  • Aerial drone owners blocked from doing commercial jobs

    Aerial drone owners blocked from doing commercial jobs

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 10:04 AM EDT2014-08-19 14:04:18 GMT
    A drone that Greg and Paige Mitts bought can't be used for commercial purposes at this time and has been grounded by the Federal Aviation Administration. The Quincy couple founded Vision Quest Virtual Tours in 2009, and about 90 days ago, they bought a drone to provide aerial photography and video that supplements the 360-degree photography their business has always provided.
    A drone that Greg and Paige Mitts bought can't be used for commercial purposes at this time and has been grounded by the Federal Aviation Administration. The Quincy couple founded Vision Quest Virtual Tours in 2009, and about 90 days ago, they bought a drone to provide aerial photography and video that supplements the 360-degree photography their business has always provided.
  • Resident asks Hannibal City Council to pick up the tab for sewer repair

    Resident asks Hannibal City Council to pick up the tab for sewer repair

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 12:17 AM EDT2014-08-20 04:17:48 GMT
    HANNIBAL, Mo. -- One of at least 16 residents found to have an illegal sewer line hookup asked the Hannibal City Council on Tuesday to consider footing the bill to reconnect his line, but the council suggested he work...
    HANNIBAL, Mo. -- One of at least 16 residents found to have an illegal sewer line hookup asked the Hannibal City Council on Tuesday to consider footing the bill to reconnect his line, but the council suggested he work...
  • YOUR TOWN: Craft beer finds home in America's Hometown's downtown

    YOUR TOWN: Craft beer finds home in America's Hometown's downtown

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 11:51 AM EDT2014-08-19 15:51:05 GMT
    HANNIBAL, Mo. -- The journey to open Mark Twain Brewing Co. has been a community-based one, but that wasn't a surprise to owner Bill Martin. "Microbreweries by and large are very neighborhood and community-oriented,...
    HANNIBAL, Mo. -- The journey to open Mark Twain Brewing Co. has been a community-based one, but that wasn't a surprise to owner Bill Martin. "Microbreweries by and large are very neighborhood and community-oriented,...
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Quincy Herald-Whig. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.