Boy safe, abductor dead after six-day standoff

Posted: Feb. 4, 2013 4:41 pm Updated: Nov. 28, 2014 8:18 pm

Associated Press

MIDLAND CITY, Ala. — A law enforcement official says a 5-year-old has been safely released after a days-long standoff between police and the boy's abductor.

The law enforcement official briefed on the situation said Monday that 65-year-old Jim Dykes, the man who abducted the boy from a school bus after fatally shooting the bus driver, is dead. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to discuss the situation.

The news conference will be held Monday afternoon in Midland City.

Before the news conference Monday, an ambulance that had been parked near the scene could be seen driving away. However, it was not clear if anyone was inside, and the vehicle did not have its sirens or emergency lights on.

Daryle Hendry, who lives about a quarter-mile from where Dykes was holed up, says he heard a boom followed by a gunshot this afternoon. It was not immediately known what may have caused the noise.



In Case You Missed It

'There's always going to be that hole': North Shelby football team playing through pain of losing teammate, classmate
The North Shelby community was rocked when four students were in a car crash on Sept. 24. North Shelby student Joshua Kennison was pronounced dead at the scene, while freshman football player Jakob Pratt died Oct. 11. The Raiders know it is a journey to move past the tragedy that struck their community over the last month, but they know they can do things to help the process.