By MAGGIE MENDERSKI
Herald-Whig Staff Writer
EWING, Mo. -- The Ewing R-4 Fire District responded to a trailer fire south of Ewing at approximately 5:20 p.m. Sunday.
Ewing R-4 Fire District Fire Chief Kent Richmond said no one was in the trailer at the time of the fire and no injuries had been reported. The couple that owned the trailer, John and Ethel O'Brien, used it for storage. The O'Brien's speculated that a trash fire their son had started had gotten out of control. Richmond could not confirm the exact cause of the fire.
Fire departments from Lewistown and Philadelphia provided mutual aid.
When the couple married 40 years ago, they'd used the trailer as their home. Lately, they'd used it as storage. Inside, an antique German organ top that had belonged to Ethel's ancestors, a set of dishes from an aunt and a collection of other possessions burned. Still, as the O'Briens watched the fire, they were thankful it hadn't spread to the nearby trailer where they lived.
Seven years ago, they'd lost a double-wide trailer they lived in to flames. Three years earlier, their son had lost a trailer to fire. This time, they'd lost possessions and storage space.
"It looks like deja vu all over again," John said.