Class 2 District 5 roundup: McClure helps South Shelby rally for overtime victory in semifinals

Posted: Feb. 23, 2013 12:44 am Updated: Mar. 16, 2013 1:15 am


LOUISIANA, Mo. -- The South Shelby boys basketball team trailed by 13 points in the fourth quarter and had lost Wyatt Proper to fouls, yet Andre McClure decided it was too early to see the season end.

McClure scored 13 points in the fourth quarter, including the game-tying basket with three seconds left, and scored four of his team's 10 points in overtime to help the Cardinals rally to a 65-58 victory Friday over Louisiana in the semifinals of the Class 2 District 5 tournament at Louisiana High School.

South Shelby (21-5), the No. 2 seed, will meet top-seeded Canton in the district title game at 7:30 p.m. Saturday. The Tigers defeated fifth-seeded Silex 79-49.

Louisiana led 44-33 after third quarter, and South Shelby appeared to be in danger of being upset when Proper, who had scored eight points, fouled out.

The Cardinals then switched to a trapping man-to-man press to force Louisiana to speed up.

"We kind of got out of our comfort zone and went to a press we haven't used much this season," Cardinals coach Philip Dunkle said.

Then McClure took over. He made the game-tying basket after he grabbed a missed shot by Ryan Mayes, then scored four more points in the overtime period to finish with 26 points.

"He was huge tonight," Dunkle said. "When Proper fouled out, Andre was determined not to let us lose."

South Shelby scored the first five points of overtime on a 3-pointer by Adam Ellyson and another basket by McClure. Ellyson made three free throws down the stretch to seal the victory.

"I know I've got a few more gray hairs than I started with tonight, and I'm only 31 years old," Dunkle said. "You're always nervous when you're down that much, and you don't know what to expect. The kids are ecstatic right now."

Greg Pitzer had 24 points for Louisiana (16-10).

In the first semifinal, Canton picked a good time to play one of its best quarters of the season.

Tyler Niemann scored eight points, and Brandon Berhorst and David McReynolds had six apiece, as the top-seeded Tigers raced to a 29-14 first-quarter lead.

"We moved the ball very well and got good looks against their zone," Tigers coach Andy Anderson said. "We've had some quarters like that this season, but it's been a while. We didn't do any pressing. That was all in the half-court."

The victory was the second 30-point decision in postseason play for Canton (25-1).

Canton didn't extend the lead in the second quarter and took a 45-31 lead into halftime. However, the Tigers put the game away with a 22-8 advantage in the third quarter.

Berhorst led Canton with 19 points. McReynolds and Cameron Durst each had 15, and Niemann chipped in with 13.

"It was a total team effort," Anderson said. "We had several guys step up and score. That's what we've done all year. We just played well, and we were very focused."

Canton won its first district title in five years when it claimed the crown in 2011, but the Tigers lost to Cairo Northeast in the district title game last season.

Matt Huber led Silex with 14 points.


Sign up for Email Alerts