City crews get rested, ready for second snow storm

Posted: Feb. 26, 2013 12:15 am Updated: Mar. 12, 2013 1:15 am

Herald-Whig Staff Writer

Marty Stegeman has never seen two large snowstorms hit Quincy back-to-back, even when he was a Quincy police officer.

The interim director of Central Services now is looking at 8-10 inches to blanket the city less than a week after the city saw 7 inches of snow.

He said snow plow crews were off the roads Sunday as the next storm headed to the region.

"I had crews out Saturday doing cleanup until 11 p.m.," Stegeman said. "I felt like with what's coming, we need to have some rest. These guys have to get a break."

The city declared a snow emergency Monday afternoon in advance of the snow. Residents who park on the street along emergency routes need to move their vehicles or face $25 fines. Central Services also can have cars towed if necessary.

Enforcement will start after 3 inches of snow has fallen.

"This has the possibilities of being a very large storm ... and we want to do the best we can to get our streets clear," Mayor John Spring said. "We appreciate your cooperation, and again, I would urge residents that do not have to be out during the height of the storm to stay home."

When a snow emergency goes into effect, Stegeman said city crews concentrate on the snow emergency routes, which are marked with blue signs.

"When we get those clear curb-to-curb, we then move to secondary arteries and neighborhoods," he said.

The city did not tow or ticket any vehicles during last week's snow emergency.

"Because we called a late snow emergency, we decided not to tow vehicles, which in effect was a good idea, because of the quantity that came down all of a sudden," Stegeman said. "I'm not sure there was enough time to respond to get those vehicles out of there."