No more applications for MAP Grants being accepted - Quincy Herald-Whig | Illinois & Missouri News, Sports

No more applications for MAP Grants being accepted after Friday

Posted: Updated:

By MATT HOPF
Herald-Whig Staff Writer

College students hoping to receive grant money from the state of Illinois may be out of luck.

The Illinois Student Assistance Commission announced it is suspending the release of Monetary Award Program grants as of today. The state budgeted $436.68 million for the grant program this fiscal year, and it all has been awarded.

This means students who submit their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) from today on will not receive a MAP grant.

Kristen Johnson, a financial aid counselor at Quincy University, said if a student is enrolled for 15 credit hours and qualifies for a MAP grant, the maximum award would have been $4,720.

"If you filed late but would have qualified, you are out that money," she said.

This is the earliest the program has been suspended, according to ISAC. The early suspension comes as more students file their FAFSA earlier and as the state's financial struggles continue. Students were able to apply for financial aid starting Jan. 1. ISAC spokesman John Samuels said the agency is expecting a MAP Grant budget for the next fiscal year of $350 million, down from $371 million in the current fiscal year.

"As of today, we have students who are eligible for over $480 million," he said. "We had to put the suspensionSClB in place. We projected, using the assumptions we use in terms of what claim rates are going to be and the types of schools, that funds will be exhausted by the end of today."

Samuels said 10 years ago all students who were eligible for a MAP Grant received one. Now, less half of eligible students will.

Over the last few years, students have started submitting their applications earlier.

"More and more of the state public universities are putting a March 1 deadline on FAFSAs for their financial aid packaging purposes," Samuels said.

Samuels said there is a chance that some more students could be accepted in the program if eligible students decide not to go to college.

"The other thing is if the General Assembly appropriates more than $350 million, we can extend processing, or if they appropriate less than $350 million, then we'd have to look at the reduction factor again," he said.

Students should continue filling out their Free Application for Federal Student Aid to qualify for other programs such as Pell Grants and Stafford Loans.

Johnson said more students have filed earlier in recent years as tuition rates have increased.

"These grants are very beneficial for students if you qualify for them," she said. "You don't want to miss out on this money."

Johnson also encouraged students to look at work study programs and to search for scholarship opportunities.

Students can fill out their financial aid form at fafsa.gov.

"We want to stress that .gov, because it is a free application," Johnson said. "We don't want students paying for something that should be free."

 

-- mhopf@whig.com/221-3391

 

  • Local HeadlinesLocal HeadlinesMore>>

  • Developer seeks city incentives for project with commercial space, apartments on former Newcomb Hotel site

    Developer seeks city incentives for project with commercial space, apartments on former Newcomb Hotel site

    Tuesday, September 30 2014 8:50 AM EDT2014-09-30 12:50:12 GMT
    A Cedar Rapids, Iowa developer is proposing that a five-story mixed-use building be placed at the former site of the Newcomb Hotel at 400 Maine. However, it will require significant investment -- potentially $3 million -- from the downtown Quincy TIF district. Hobart Historic Restoration's $3.9 million proposed development, Newcomb Lofts, would have approximately 4,777 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor with 20 market-rate apartments on the four upper stories.
    A Cedar Rapids, Iowa developer is proposing that a five-story mixed-use building be placed at the former site of the Newcomb Hotel at 400 Maine. However, it will require significant investment -- potentially $3 million -- from the downtown Quincy TIF district. Hobart Historic Restoration's $3.9 million proposed development, Newcomb Lofts, would have approximately 4,777 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor with 20 market-rate apartments on the four upper stories.
  • Newsboys returning to Quincy Nov. 4 at Oakley-Lindsay Center

    Newsboys returning to Quincy Nov. 4 at Oakley-Lindsay Center

    Tuesday, September 30 2014 12:24 PM EDT2014-09-30 16:24:57 GMT
    Spread the news. The Newsboys are returning to Quincy for a 7 p.m. concert Nov. 4 at the Oakley-Lindsay Center, providing the area with a second major contemporary Christian music event in a little more than three months....
    Spread the news. The Newsboys are returning to Quincy for a 7 p.m. concert Nov. 4 at the Oakley-Lindsay Center, providing the area with a second major contemporary Christian music event in a little more than three months....
  • Two thousand enjoy sipping wine downtown during Grape Escape

    Two thousand enjoy sipping wine downtown during Grape Escape

    Monday, September 29 2014 1:33 PM EDT2014-09-29 17:33:04 GMT
    Guests did more than sip wine and soak up the sun during the Great River Grape Escape in Clat Adams Park Sunday. They also learned about a burgeoning industry that touches all parts of Illinois. "This (event) educates...
    Guests did more than sip wine and soak up the sun during the Great River Grape Escape in Clat Adams Park Sunday. They also learned about a burgeoning industry that touches all parts of Illinois. "This (event) educates...
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Quincy Herald-Whig. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.