Hannibal man pleads guilty in January shooting, faces 5 to 15 years in prison

Martez D. Peete (Submitted Photo)
Posted: Apr. 1, 2013 12:14 pm Updated: Apr. 22, 2013 12:22 pm

Herald-Whig Staff Writer

HANNIBAL, Mo. -- A Hannibal man accused of shooting another man during what authorities described as a "drug deal" pleaded guilty on Monday.

Martez D. Peete, 25, pleaded guilty to first-degree assault, a Class B felony. He admitted to shooting Courtney C. Miller, 38, of Kahoka, Mo., in the early evening of Jan. 28 in the 400 block of North Arch in Hannibal.

"I fired a firearm at the victim," Peete told Judge Rachel Bringer Shepherd during Monday's hearing.

Peete, dressed in an orange jumpsuit and with his arms and ankles chained together, said little else during the hearing other than answering Bringer Shepherd's questions with a "Yes, ma'am," or "No, ma'am," answer.

Marion County Prosecuting Attorney Tom Redington asked Bringer Shepherd to consider a 15-year sentence in the Missouri Department of Corrections. A Class B felony in Missouri is punishable by no less than five years and no more than 15 years in the DOC. Redington also recommended that Peete serve 120 days in the shock incarceration program. If Peete were to successfully complete that program, he would be released from prison and serve probation, Redington said.

Peete originally was to be sentenced on Monday, but Bringer Shepherd wanted to give the victim notification of the sentencing hearing and allow the victim to attend if he wishes. She set sentencing for 9 a.m. on April 15.

Miller told a detective with the Hannibal Police Department that Peete shot him after he tried to steal crack cocaine from Peete. Redington verified Miller's account while reading his statement of facts in the case.

Miller was shot twice, getting hit in his left shoulder and left thigh. He had his girlfriend take him to Canton, Mo., after the shooting. He was found at 8:28 p.m. at a residence in the 600 block of South Fourth in Canton. He was transported to Blessing Hospital in Quincy, Ill., with wounds that weren't life threatening.

Peete went into hiding after the shooting, authorities say. He was found Feb. 4 by detectives in the attic of a house in Mexico, Mo. Peete was arrested without incident.

Peete has been lodged in the Marion County Jail on a $100,000 cash-only bond since his arrest.

He was out on parole from two 2007 felony cases at the time of the incident. He pleaded guilty to one count of distribution, delivery and production of a controlled substance and one count of unlawful use of a weapon. As part of the plea agreement, all sentences in the cases would be run concurrently.



Sign up for Email Alerts