Kitchen fire damages Hannibal duplex

Posted: Apr. 6, 2013 12:01 am Updated: Apr. 20, 2013 12:15 am

HANNIBAL, Mo. -- A fire started on a kitchen stove damaged part of a duplex Thursday night at 2001 Broadway in Hannibal.

Firefighters were called to the duplex at 6:58 p.m.

"There was damage to the kitchen area and some cabinets and smoke damage through the one unit," Deputy Fire Chief Mike Benjamin said.

Everyone got out of the building safely, Benjamin said, and there were no injuries reported.

The other unit in the duplex was not damaged, Benjamin said, but its residents were displaced when electrical service to the property was disrupted during the fire.

The American Red Cross Northeast Missouri Chapter dispatched a disaster action team to the fire scene and provided food and shelter to four adults and two children.

In Case You Missed It

'There's always going to be that hole': North Shelby football team playing through pain of losing teammate, classmate
The North Shelby community was rocked when four students were in a car crash on Sept. 24. North Shelby student Joshua Kennison was pronounced dead at the scene, while freshman football player Jakob Pratt died Oct. 11. The Raiders know it is a journey to move past the tragedy that struck their community over the last month, but they know they can do things to help the process.