FBI release images of two men at Boston Marathon - Quincy Herald-Whig | Illinois & Missouri News, Sports

FBI releases images of two men at Boston Marathon

Posted: Updated:
This combination of images released by the FBI show two images taken from surveillance video of who the FBI are calling suspect number 2, left, and suspect number 1, right. (AP Photo/FBI) This combination of images released by the FBI show two images taken from surveillance video of who the FBI are calling suspect number 2, left, and suspect number 1, right. (AP Photo/FBI)
Photo released by FBI Photo released by FBI
Photo released by FBI Photo released by FBI

By DENISE LAVOIE and ADAM GELLER
Associated Press

BOSTON (AP) - The FBI released photos and video Thursday of 2 suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing and asked for the public's help in identifying them, zeroing in on the two men on surveillance-camera footage less than three days after the deadly attack.

The photos depict one man in a dark baseball cap and the other in a white cap worn backwards. The men were seen walking together in the crowd, and the one in the white hat was seen setting down a backpack at the site of 1 of the blasts, said Richard DesLauriers, FBI agent in charge in Boston.

"Somebody out there knows these individuals as friends, neighbors, co-workers or family members of the suspects. Though it may be difficult, the nation is counting on those with information to come forward and provide it to us," DesLauriers said.

Within moments of the announcement, the FBI website crashed, perhaps because of a crush of visitors.

The images were released hours after President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama attended an interfaith service at a Roman Catholic cathedral in Boston to remember the three people killed and more than 180 wounded in the twin blasts Monday at the marathon finish line.

The suspects are considered armed and extremely dangerous, DesLauriers said, and people who see them should not approach them.

"Do not take any action on your own," he warned.

The break in the investigation came just days after the attack that tore off limbs, shattered windows and raised the specter of another terrorist attack on U.S. soil. FBI specialists have been analyzing a mountain of surveillance footage and amateur photos and video for clues to who carried the attack and why.

Generally, law enforcement agencies release photos of suspects only as a last resort, when they need the public's help in identifying or capturing someone.

Releasing photos can be a mixed bag: It can tip off a suspect and deny police the element of surprise. It can also trigger an avalanche of tips, forcing police to waste valuable time chasing them down.

At the Cathedral of the Holy Cross earlier in the day, Obama declared to the people of Boston: "Your resolve is the greatest rebuke to whoever committed this heinous act." He spoke in almost mocking terms of those who commit such violence.

"We finish the race, and we do that because of who we are," the president said to applause. "And that's what the perpetrators of such senseless violence - these small, stunted individuals who would destroy instead of build and think somehow that makes them important - that's what they don't understand."

"We will find you," he warned those behind the attack.

Seven victims remained in critical condition. Killed were 8-year-old Martin Richard of Boston, 29-year-old restaurant manager Krystle Campbell of Medford, Mass., and Lu Lingzi, a 23-year-old Boston University graduate student from China.

Video and photos recovered in the investigation are being examined and enhanced by an FBI unit called the Operational Technologies Division, said Joe DiZinno, former director of the FBI lab in Quantico, Va.

Investigators are looking at video frame by frame - a laborious process, though one aided by far more sophisticated facial recognition technology than is commercially available, forensic specialists said.

"When you have something that is this high-profile, they are going to use every available resource that they have," said former Miami federal prosecutor Melissa Damian Visconti.

The investigation will probably collect about a million hours of videotape from fixed security cameras and cellphones and cameras used by spectators, said Gene Grindstaff, a scientist at Intergraph Corp., a Huntsville, Ala., company that makes video analysis software used by the FBI and other law enforcement agencies.

But after years of investigating terrorist incidents and other crimes, the FBI is practiced at cataloging, categorizing and analyzing such evidence and will winnow it down dramatically, he said.

"Back in the days of 20 years ago, you were lucky if you had video and it was probably of poor quality and it took a tremendous amount of enhancement. Today you have a completely different issue," Grindstaff said.

Investigators can set the video analysis software so that it automatically searches for certain types of objects or people matching a height and weight description. The software can also spot patterns that analysts might not notice, such as a certain car that turns up in different places, Grindstaff said.

DiZinno, who ran the FBI lab from 2007 to 2010, said any retrieved bomb components such as the pressure cookers, shrapnel and pieces of timers or wire will be closely examined for fingerprints, DNA, hairs and fibers.

The bomb components would be traced by figuring out the item's maker, where each piece is typically purchased and whether the device resembles any bombs the FBI has seen in past attacks. The FBI lab keeps a detailed file on past bombings, including many overseas attacks.

"Let's say there was a timer," DiZinno said. "Was there a serial number? Who was the manufacturer? That can provide leads for investigators."

One pressure cooker maker, the Fagor Group in Spain, said that it has been contacted by U.S. investigators and that company officials are extending full cooperation. The company sells 250,000 pressure cookers a year in the U.S. and 1 million worldwide.

Associated Press writers Jay Lindsay, Pat Eaton-Robb, Steve LeBlanc, Bridget Murphy, Meghan Barr, Jeff Donn and Julie Pace in Boston; Eileen Sullivan and Lara Jakes in Washington; Curt Anderson in Miami; and Marilynn Marchione in Milwaukee contributed to this report.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Local HeadlinesLocal HeadlinesMore>>

  • Durbin visits Quincy church on Sunday after attending Saturday night fundraiser

    Durbin visits Quincy church on Sunday after attending Saturday night fundraiser

    Sunday, August 31 2014 11:48 PM EDT2014-09-01 03:48:28 GMT
    U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin and a local religious leader on Sunday encouraged people to make their voices heard at the voting booths in the wake of unrest in Ferguson, Mo. Durbin, a Springfield Democrat, spoke at a service at the Cathedral of Worship in Quincy Sunday morning after a fundraising event at Quincy University Saturday night.
    U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin and a local religious leader on Sunday encouraged people to make their voices heard at the voting booths in the wake of unrest in Ferguson, Mo. Durbin, a Springfield Democrat, spoke at a service at the Cathedral of Worship in Quincy Sunday morning after a fundraising event at Quincy University Saturday night.
  • Rauner brings Republican campaign for governor to Adams County

    Rauner brings Republican campaign for governor to Adams County

    Saturday, August 30 2014 11:40 PM EDT2014-08-31 03:40:51 GMT
    Republican Bruce Rauner brought his campaign for Illinois governor to Quincy on Saturday, and he made it clear to supporters he's going to need their help to defeat the Democratic incumbent, Pat Quinn, on election day. ...
    Republican Bruce Rauner brought his campaign for Illinois governor to Quincy on Saturday, and he made it clear to supporters he's going to need their help to defeat the Democratic incumbent, Pat Quinn, on election day. ...
  • Special Summer: Edina man with Down syndrome meets president, speaks at U.N. conference

    Special Summer: Edina man with Down syndrome meets president, speaks at U.N. conference

    Sunday, August 31 2014 11:58 PM EDT2014-09-01 03:58:19 GMT
    EDINA, Mo. -- Jared Niemeyer has hobnobbed with pop stars, shaken hands with the president, and spoken in front of world leaders. And that was just this summer. The 22-year-old from rural Edina man spent parts of June...
    EDINA, Mo. -- Jared Niemeyer has hobnobbed with pop stars, shaken hands with the president, and spoken in front of world leaders. And that was just this summer. The 22-year-old from rural Edina man spent parts of June...
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Quincy Herald-Whig. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service and Mobile Privacy Policy & Terms of Service.