Fire destroys van, damages garage at repair shop south of Hannibal

Posted: Oct. 30, 2013 8:31 pm Updated: Nov. 20, 2013 9:15 pm


HANNIBAL, Mo. -- A vehicle was a total loss and a garage badly damaged after a fire late Wednesday morning south of Hannibal.

The Hannibal Rural Fire Department was called at 11:16 a.m. for the fire at 11450 Ideal Villa, which is just off U.S. 61. The fire started inside a detached garage at an auto repair shop. A van inside the garage caught fire, Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Smith said.

Smith said workers at the shop were able to pull the van out of the garage with a chain, but the fire had spread to the metal building. Smith said the Hannibal Fire Department was first to arrive on scene at 11:32 a.m.

"The Hannibal Fire Department extinguished the fire on the minivan and then made a fire attack on the structure," Smith said. "They had a pretty good handle on it before we got on scene."

The rural fire department arrived at 11:36 a.m. with the New London Fire Department showing up at 11:39 a.m. Smith said the department asked for extra help because the initial call said the fire was near the Heetco propane gas dealership, which is next to the auto repair shop. Smith said the fire was contained to the van and the garage.

The van was a total loss, he said, and the auto repair shop lost about half its tools.

The auto repair shop is owned by Dennis Reeves. He rents the garage and a nearby house on the property, which is owned by Glen Ledbetter.

Smith said the fire was out by 11:56 a.m.


Sign up for Email Alerts