Good News of Christmas: How to Help
Posted: Nov. 15, 2013 2:35 pm Updated: Nov. 28, 2014 6:18 pm
The Quincy Herald-Whig’s Good News of Christmas campaign will make the holidays brighter for 50 area families. The 25th annual campaign offers several ways for area residents to help:
• Drop boxes for donated gifts are available from Nov. 25 through Dec. 18 at The Herald-Whig, Kmart, ShopKo, Wal-Mart, the Quincy Mall customer service desk, Bergner’s, JC Penney, Sam’s Club, and Quincy Farm & Home Supply.
• The Good News Volunteer Center opens Sunday, Dec. 1, in the Quincy Mall Community Room. Center hours will be 6-9 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday through Dec. 18.
• Monetary contributions to the campaign may be dropped off at the volunteer center or mailed to The Quincy Herald-Whig, in care of Good News of Christmas, 130 S. Fifth, Quincy, IL 62301. Donations may be directed to a specific Good News family; note the case number on the check.
• The United Way of Adams County coordinates the adoption process for Good News cases. More information about adopting a case is available by calling Emily Robbearts at 224-1223.
• The Good News program is not equipped to accept used appliances or furniture for cases, but fulfilling “big ticket” service needs, such as dental care or car repair, is available by calling Robbearts. For more information about how to help the campaign, call Chris Scarano, Good News volunteer coordinator, at 242-4287.