News

Christmas morning house fire in Hannibal leaves two homeless

Posted: Dec. 26, 2013 12:31 pm Updated: Jan. 16, 2014 1:15 pm

HANNIBAL, Mo. -- A Christmas morning fire left two Hannibal residents without a home and belongings. No one was injured.

The Hannibal Fire Department was dispatched to the single-story house at 1719 Chestnut, off Market Street, at 10:43 a.m., and 13 firefighters fought the fire for three hours.

Fire Chief Bill Madore said the cause of the fire was electrical nature. The residents, Albert Whittaker and Kathleen Frieden, had been thawing out pipes at the back of the house when the fire started.

Whittaker and Frieden are being assisted by the local chapter of the American Red Cross, Madore said.

The house is owned by Maryanne Hoage, the fire chief said.

In Case You Missed It

Silver Saukees: Pittsfield's state title team to reunite after 25 years
Tony Baker recently watched a video of the 1991 Class A state championship game with his 11-year-old daughter. It had been several years since Baker, an all-stater as a senior at Pittsfield High School, had seen the game. "I sure was awful skinny, and those shorts were awful short," he said with a laugh. "But it was neat to watch. It's kind of a blur, but I can remember plays that were called in every game. It's so surreal."