News

Gas leak forces apartment complex evacuation; nine people displaced until code violations corrected

Posted: Jan. 31, 2014 4:38 pm Updated: Feb. 14, 2014 8:15 pm

Seven families were indefinitely displaced from their residences on the city's north side Friday when a gas leak forced the evacuation from an apartment complex at 602 N. Fifth.

Residents were unaware of the gas leak until the Quincy Fire Department knocked on their doors to start the evacuation, which totaled nine people. Gas was turned off and families were able to retrieve personal belongings.

Electrical code violations subsequently were found in the building by city inspectors. A Quincy Fire Department spokesman said the tenants will not be allowed to return until all violations are corrected. The spokesman said that would "be awhile."

Emergency services evacuated tenants and took them to the Quincy chapter of the American Red Cross at 3000 N. 23rd.

The Red Cross will provide emergency lodging until the tenants can return to their homes.

In Case You Missed It

Playing It By Ear: Blind 8-year-old loves baseball, following Hannibal Cavemen
From his usual spot in the front row of seats in a suite down the third-base line, 8-year-old Dougie Brawley listens to the sounds around him at Clemens Field ... the sounds Dougie uses to immerse himself in a baseball game. It's the only way he can. He has been blind his entire life.