Carbon monoxide poisoning killed Augusta man found in home

Posted: Jul. 31, 2014 12:10 pm Updated: Aug. 14, 2014 1:15 pm

AUGUSTA, Ill. -- The Augusta man found dead Tuesday morning in his home died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a fire in his home Wednesday.

Hancock County Coroner Kendall Beals performed an autopsy Wednesday on Jerry R. "Rob" Kauffman, 44, in Bloomington to determine the cause of death. The toxicology report from the autopsy will not be available for several weeks, Beals said.

Kauffman was pronounced dead at the dead at the scene at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday by Beals. The Hamilton Funeral Home in Augusta is handling the initial arrangements.

A call came to 911 at 11:05 a.m. Tuesday reporting a fire in a single-story house at 201 Second. When the Augusta Fire Department arrived, the fire had self-extinguished.

Kauffman was found in a bedroom in the home. No one else was in the house at the time of the fire, Beals said.

The Illinois State Fire Marshal has investigated the fire scene. An official report will be available in several weeks, Beals said, but no foul play is suspected.