Are there laws about people riding motorized bicycles?

A Huffy bicycle converted to a motorized bicycle with a gasoline engine. Quincy police say motorized bicycles with a top speed below 20 mph and a 1 horsepower engine or less do not require a license to operate, but drivers must be at least 16 years old. | Wikipedia Commons
By Herald-Whig
Posted: Sep. 9, 2016 10:40 am

Are there any laws or regulations about people riding motorized bicycles on sidewalks and in the lane of traffic on city streets?

Motorized bikes are not allowed to operate on sidewalks and must follow the rules of the road.

"They would have to abide by all traffic laws, just like a bicyclist -- stop at stop signs and everything like that," said Quincy police Sgt. Chad Scott.

Scott said if the top speed of the vehicle is under 20 mph and the engine is less than 1 horsepower, it is considered a low-speed electric or gas bicycle. No driver's license is required, but the driver must be 16 years old.

"I think a lot of people are seeing these bikes that appear to be going faster than that, and I'm sure there are some here in town that are running faster than that and have higher horsepower," Scott said.

The Illinois Secretary of State requires a Class L license for motorized bicycles with up to 150cc engine if they exceed any of these guidelines:

It can attain a speed between 20 and 30 mph within one mile.

The motor is capable of producing 2 brake horsepower or less.

The engine displacement does not exceed 50cc.

The transmission does not require gear shifting.

If the four criteria are met, the vehicle is considered a moped, and it can be operated with a current, standard driver's license. Any bike with a 150cc engine or higher is classified as a motorcycle and requires a Class M license.

How can my question be answered? Just ask. We'll quiz community leaders, business officials, historians, educators ... whoever can tell us what you want to know. Submit questions to or mail them to Answers, The Herald-Whig, P.O. Box 909, Quincy, IL 62301. Provide a name and phone number so we can respond or clarify information. Questions dealing with personal or legal disputes will not be accepted.