Anniversaries

James "Jim" and Nancy Terwelp

Posted: Jun. 25, 2017 12:01 am

James R. "Jim" and Nancy K. Terwelp of 1305 E. 2100th St., Camp Point, Ill., are observing their 40th wedding anniversary today.

They were married June 25, 1977, at St. Francis Solanus Catholic Church in Quincy.

Mrs. Terwelp is the former Nancy Lichtsinn, daughter of the late John and Marie Lichtsinn of Coatsburg, Ill. Mr. Terwelp is a son of the late Andrew and Virginia Terwelp of Quincy.

Mr. Terwelp is a longtime grain farmer. He is a graduate of Christian Brothers High School in Quincy and Quincy Technical Schools, where he was in the first class of autobody repair. He was employed by Hilbing's, Peters Body Shop and in 1970 he and the late Paul Frericks opened the Deer Ridge Body Shop on South 48th Street in Quincy, a business they operated until 1980 when both concentrated their efforts on farming. Mr. Terwelp retired in the fall of 2015. He is a current member of St. Joseph Catholic Church in rural Quincy and in earlier years was a member of St. Francis Catholic Church. He is a former member of the Quincy Automotive Association.

Mrs. Terwelp retired Aug. 1, 2016, from The Quincy Herald-Whig. She joined the staff of The Herald-Whig newsroom on Sept. 3, 1963, after graduating from Central High School in Camp Point in May of the same year. Her 53 years at the newspaper saw a variety of job responsibilities as the news-gathering business changed with technology. Mrs. Terwelp is a lifelong member of St. Peter Evangelical Lutheran Church in Coatsburg and a former member of the American Business Women's Association, Beta Sigma Phi sorority and served on the board of directors of the Adams County Chapter of the American Red Cross, most notably during the Flood of 1993.