Police & Courts

Homeowner told investigators, 'I feared he was going to kill me,' after fatal Memorial Day shooting

Logan Graham
By Herald-Whig
Posted: Jul. 25, 2018 6:30 pm Updated: Jul. 25, 2018 9:15 pm

QUINCY -- The 19-year-old killed during a reported Memorial Day home invasion in Burton was warned multiple times by the homeowner before he was shot, police reports reveal.

Multiple witnesses told investigators that the homeowner repeatedly issued warnings to Logan M. Graham of Camp Point before opening fire with a 12-gauge shotgun.

The reports were obtained by The Herald-Whig through a Freedom of Information Act request to the Adams County state's attorney's office.

The homeowner provided a three-sentence statement to investigators through his attorney, Don Schuering, in which he said Graham entered his home "in a violent, riotous and tumultuous manner by breaking though the glass in my front door."

"Earlier, he threatened to kill me," the statement read. "When he entered my home I feared he was going to kill me or one of my family members, I feared that his action was imminent, and I believed there was only one way to protect me and my family."

Adams County State's Attorney Gary Farha said last week that no charges would be filed in the May 28 fatal shooting.

Witnesses said Graham did not say anything as he reportedly punched out the glass in the front door of the house near Ill. 104 and East 1330th Street.

One witness said Graham showed up at the home about 2:30 p.m. very agitated, yelling "open the door, come out and talk to me." He also reportedly threatened to kill the homeowner and his family.

The witness called 911 on one phone and also called her friend, Adams County Sheriff's Department Chief Deputy Rich Wagner, who told investigators that he called 911 to tell them to send every available unit to the home.

Graham reportedly left the area but returned about 10 minutes after the witness got off the phone with 911.

Dispatch logs show that a call came into the Quincy/Adams County 911 Center at 2:25 p.m., and deputies were dispatched to the home at 2:28 p.m.

The caller told a dispatcher that Graham was leaving at 2:37 p.m.

In his report, Deputy Andrew Kuhl said that as he was heading north on East 1330th, he saw Graham leaving the private drive in a maroon Pontiac Grand Prix. Graham reportedly drove the vehicle north on East 1300th to where the road ends and turned around.

Kuhl wrote that he placed his squad car in the middle of the road with its emergency lights activated and left the vehicle, telling Graham to shut off his vehicle and get out. Kuhl reported that Graham then drove past him.

Kuhl pursued Graham and tried to stop him after Graham crossed Ill. 104 heading south on East 1330th, but he and Investigator Justin Stinnett were told by Sgt. Shawn Goodwin to end the pursuit and follow at a safe distance, according to police reports.

Kuhl reported losing sight of Graham's vehicle but said he could see the dust trail. On East 1500th, Stinnett reported that his squad car was on the road in the path of Graham's vehicle when Graham reportedly went through a ditch to get around the squad car. Stinnett reported that they then lost track of Graham.

The vehicle was later spotted heading west on Ill. 104 before turning north on East 1330th, back toward the residence, when dispatchers told deputies that Graham was back at the residence.

Dispatch logs show Graham had returned to the home at 2:49 p.m. A minute later, it was reported that shots were fired and Graham had been shot. An ambulance was dispatched.

Kuhl wrote that when he arrived at the residence he took cover behind a tree when the garage door opened and numerous people walked out of the garage, including one who held a firearm in the air. Kuhl reported that the people were screaming: "They had to; they didn't have a choice."

Graham was found in the foyer of the home with a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Deputies at the scene provided treatment to Graham until ambulance personnel arrived. He later died at Blessing Hospital.

A toxicology report in the report said Graham had a blood-alcohol level of 0.17 percent, which is more than twice the legal limit to drive.

Graham was on work release from the Adams County Jail after being convicted of two counts of possession of child pornography in October. He had told witnesses that he showed up for work on Memorial Day, but nobody was there.

Graham reportedly visited a farm in rural Liberty about 12:30 p.m. that day, where several people were swimming in a pond and socializing. He told witnesses that he had seven mixed drinks at the Grove Inn just outside Quincy. Witnesses say he also had three beers at the party.

Witnesses told investigators that Graham seemed "normal" and didn't appear intoxicated.

Surveillance footage investigators obtained from the Grove Inn reportedly showed that Graham consumed multiple alcoholic drinks between 9 and 10 a.m.

Things to Do