QUINCY -- Two more red bulbs have been switched to white as part of the Quincy Fire Department's "Keep the Wreath Red" campaign after two structure fires since Friday.
The Quincy Fire Department responded on Sunday to 2523 Stevens Drive for a report of flames visible. When fire crews arrived, they said they found heavy smoke, and after investigation, fire investigators determined a water heater flue pipe had caught insulation on fire.
"It is important to keep combustibles away from hot surfaces and remember to periodically check your flue for items that may have (fallen) against it or animals that may have built a nest inside your flue," said Firefighter Ryan Kamphaus.
Fire investigators also determined that a Friday garage fire at 2233 Aldo Blvd. was caused by an electric blanket used to keep pets warm.
"It is important to remember that electric blankets, much like space heaters, should only be used for short periods of time and only when they are under supervision," Kamphaus said.
This makes three bulbs that have been switched since the "Keep the Wreath Red" campaign started.
It runs from Nov. 21 through Jan. 1 to remind the public to think about fire safety during the holiday season.
Every time there is a home fire during the season, a bulb on each wreath outside each Quincy fire station, as well as sponsors Ameren Illinois, Air Serv of Quincy and Refreshment Services Pepsi, will be changed from red to white. The goal is to "Keep the Wreath Red."