Police & Courts

Man arrested in December standoff allowed to enter treatment program

Zachary D. Nokes
By Herald-Whig
Posted: Feb. 13, 2020 12:01 am Updated: Feb. 13, 2020 11:28 pm

QUINCY — The Quincy man arrested after a short standoff with police on Quincy's north side and then arrested again two days later in Hannibal, Mo., after escaping the Blessing Adult Psychiatric Unit, had his bond reduced in order to enter an in-patient mental health treatment program.

However, Judge Debra Wellborn ordered Thursday that Zachary D. Nokes will be required to wear a GPS monitor while he is in the program through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs facility in Iowa and that he must return to the Adams County Jail after treatment.

Nokes' attorney, Jeff O'Brien, argued against the GPS monitor, saying his client was committed to entering treatment and that a monitor would be a financial burden to his family.

"He doesn't want to do anything that will jeopardize his case," he said. "The treatment is something he needs."

First Assistant State's Attorney Todd Eyler said he thought that treatment was appropriate for Nokes and that a woman Nokes reportedly threatened to kill agreed that treatment was necessary, but that there needed to be conditions to make sure Nokes was in treatment.

"At a minimum, the GPS monitor is critical," Eyler said. "Even if it were cut off, it would put people on alert."

Nokes, 46, faces charges of intimidation and aggravated assault in the Dec. 6, 2019, standoff at 2043 Maple. He also faces charges of residential burglary and possession of a stolen firearm in a Dec. 5 burglary in rural Camp Point, as well as methamphetamine manufacturing and possession of methamphetamine manufacturing material stemming from an unrelated 2017 incident.

Charging documents say that Nokes told a woman he would kill her if she did not let go of a gun. Documents also state that he burglarized the house in Camp Point and possessed a 20-gauge shotgun.

Nokes was arrested after the standoff with Quincy Police. He was being held in the Blessing Hospital psychiatric unit when he escaped, reportedly because a locked door had malfunctioned. He was later arrested at Hannibal Regional Hospital, where O'Brien said Nokes was attempting to get treatment.

Bond had been set at a combined $583,000 between the three cases. It was lowered to $10,000.

Nokes continues to be held in the Adams County Jail pending his release for treatment.

Things to Do