HANNIBAL, Mo. -- Work is underway for a rebuild at McDonald's in Hannibal, with sales ceasing Sunday and demolition slated for Monday, March 1.
Ashley Orscheln, director of operations, said crews would be removing equipment this week in advance of work to the structure dating back to 1979. She said the new state-of-the-art facility is scheduled to open in mid-May. The date is dependent on weather conditions, but crews with Austin Construction from St. Louis have been right on track so far with construction of a large box culvert which will add about 10 parking spaces. Orscheln said the crews and their subcontractors have been great to work, and they performed remodels at the Macon and Bowling Green restaurants.
"We're excited. We wish we didn't have to close down," Orscheln said. "When we reopen, I think it will be really good for customers and really good for employees."
Orscheln said the drive-thru entrance and layout will be redesigned to enhance the flow. Inside, new equipment and floor plans will help employees perform their tasks, and the customer area will accommodate 20 to 25 more people.
Sharon Luck was seated at one of the booths. She has been coming to the restaurant since it opened in 1979. Although she said she's sad that the building will be torn down, she is excited to see what the restaurant will be like in May.
"It's my favorite place, and they have best coffee in town," Luck said. The workers, you get to know them and they all become like family."
More information is available by visiting the Hannibal McDonald's Facebook page by searching for McDonald's 4407 McMasters Ave. Hannibal Mo.