When Temple B'nai Sholom was deconsecrated on May 18, 2019, its congregants faced important decisions concerning the disposition of some of their sacred objects and their archives.
A fire on the Mississippi River bridge at Quincy on March 30, 1919, disrupted area lives. The cause of the blaze was a mystery, but it had begun well before anyone noticed.
William, or Willie as he was known, was the eldest son of Robert Tillson, an early and prominent Quincy resident. Arriving here in 1828, Tillson opened a store on the southeast corner of Fourth and Maine streets.
Abolitionists were organizing across the country as soon as a territory became a state. Some antislavery Americans met at lectures or rallies, and some serendipitously crossed paths as they traveled west to the new states in the expanding United States.
In 1819, less than a year after Illinois became a state, the first Illinois General Assembly passed "An Act Respecting Free Negroes, Mulattos, Servants, and Slaves." The act, in 25 sections, outlined how free persons of color should be registered.
"Mr. S.H. Emery, Sr., is interesting himself in the organization of a historical society for Quincy," The Quincy Daily Whig reported on June 11, 1896. So begins the newspaper accounts of the origins of the Historical Society of Quincy and Adams County.
Quincy was an ideal settlement for abolitionists on the expanding Western frontier after the Missouri Compromise of 1820.