The deconsecration of Temple B'nai Sholom (Children of Peace) closes the 181-year history since the first Jew, Abraham Jonas, settled in Quincy. The synagogue's roots can be found in the few Jewish pioneers who began to worship together in 1848.
Camp Point merchant William Hanna answered Lincoln's call for more men to suppress the rebellion of Southern states in August 1861.
There's a quiet parking lot on North 12th Street beside the alley on the west side of the street between Broadway and Vermont. In 1883 it was the site of a brick house that became notorious for being haunted.
Illinois' second constitution, expected to remedy the ills of the first, had its own problems. So, when Illinoisans approved another convention to replace the constitution of 1848, James W. Singleton of Quincy would give it his second try.
In 1920, George Kiefer opened a meat market at Fourth and Lind streets in Quincy. In 1921, he opened a grocery store in Camp Point. By 1924, he owned 10 stores, including ones in Bowen, Golden, Kellerville, Clayton and another in Quincy.
Lauretta Eno moved to Quincy in 1957, when she accepted the position of director of nursing service and director of nursing education at Blessing Hospital. At age 42, she had already had a lifetime of experiences.
Archibald (Archie) Williams, a colorful character with a flair for law and politics, was 28 years old when he settled in Quincy in 1829. He was born June 10, 1801, into a large family of limited means in Montgomery County, Ky.
When Quincy was a young city, it hugged the river. At 12th and Broadway, the countryside began. Across the cinder sidewalk and the dirt of Twelfth Street stretched a piece of land called Alstyne's Prairie.