QUINCY -- A warrant has been issued for the Quincy woman accused of causing Friday's traffic crash that caused the death of four people.

Natasha L. McBride, 36, faces four counts of reckless homicide, Class 3 felonies; four counts of leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, Class 1 felonies; and four counts of driving while license revoked, Class 4 felonies. The charges are in connection with the Friday deaths of Jenniffer Hendricks, 54, of Rushville, and Dakota Corrick, 6, Archer Corrick, 4, and Ransom Corrick, 18 months, all of Kirskville.

Adams County State's Attorney Gary Farha said McBride's "reckless and dangerous acts" lead to the four deaths.

"Calling this a tragedy diminishes the reckless disregard this defendant showed for the lives of every other driver on the road that afternoon," Farha said. "The police officers, EMS personnel and other first responders who arrived on site witnessed a crime scene that is embedded in their memory for the rest of their lives."

McBride is not facing aggravated DUI charges.

Farha told The Herald-Whig that preliminary test results indicated a DUI charge was not possible at this time.

In the crash report, the Quincy Police Department said McBride admitted to smoking marijuana shortly before leaving in her vehicle.

"We are still reviewing and looking at other charges," Farha said, including consulting the state's attorney appellate prosecutor's office for guidance. Toxicology tests are pending with the Illinois State Police Crime Lab.

"I don't feel that there are adequate charges at our disposal for the pain the family and the community has endured," Farha said.

He added he intends to lobby legislators at a later date for more options in cases that resemble similar "fact patterns."

Emergency crews were sent to Fourth and Broadway just before 5 p.m. Friday for the crash.

The Quincy Police Department said an investigation determined a 2008 Chevrolet Impala driven by McBride was traveling west on Broadway at an apparent high rate of speed and did not stop at the stoplight at Fourth and Broadway. McBride's vehicle struck a 2002 Buick driven by Stephen Hendricks, 61, of Rushville, traveling north on Fourth.

Stephen Hendricks suffered moderate injuries and was taken to Blessing Hospital.

Police said McBride fled on foot and was later arrested on the Bayview Bridge.

Witnesses told police that McBride's car was driving extremely fast and failed to stop at a red light.

McBride reportedly admitted to police that she was driving "really, really fast" and using a cellphone at the time of the crash.

She remains hospitalized and will be transferred to police custody upon discharge.

Her bail was set at $5 million.

Recommended for you