David Adam

Beyond the Boxscore: Riney overcomes flu to play 36 minutes, second grader handles anthem

Quintin Miller sings the national anthem before the Class 3 District 8 basketball doubleheader on Saturday in Ewing, Mo. | H-W Photo/David Adam
By Herald-Whig
Posted: Feb. 24, 2018 12:01 am Updated: Feb. 25, 2018 2:30 am

EWING, Mo. -- When Monroe City took an 11-1 lead during Saturday's Class 3 District 8 boys basketball championship game, Zeb Riney brought Clark County back on his own.

The senior guard scored 11 consecutive points in the first quarter, with the help of three 3-pointers, to get the Indians within 14-12. The deficit never got into double digits again, though Monroe City won the game 60-57 in overtime.

Riney has been one of the Indians' top players for the past four years, but his performance on Saturday was remarkable. He finished with 18 points, but he also did it after taking intravenous fluids earlier in the day to combat the flu.

Riney missed the team's shootaround on Saturday morning and didn't ride the team bus to Ewing.

"We didn't know if we'd have him," Indians coach Adam Rung said. "We left (Kahoka) at 11:45, and he's getting an IV. I'd never ever would have guessed he'd give us 36 minutes today. He never complained. He kept going. I'd say, 'You OK?' He'd say, 'Yeah, I'm good. I'm good.'

"He's a winner. That's all you can say."

Rung said Riney showed signs of illness on Friday night in the semifinal victory over Macon, and that Riney spent much of the overnight hours throwing up.

"I just told him, 'You get here when you get here. We'll take whatever you have,'" Rung said. "He was unbelievable."

Riney finished with 18 points.

Singing the anthem

One of the bright moments of the day happened before the beginning of girls game between Clark County and Monroe City.

Quintin Miller, a second grade student at Highland Elementary School, sang the national anthem -- but not without handling a little adversity along the way.

Miller sang the first few words of the song on his own when the computer tied into the video board on the west wall in the gymnasium and started playing a video version of the anthem. While officials at the scorer's table scrambled to turn the song off, Miller stopped, then was told to simply start over.

He did just that and sang the song flawlessly, receiving an ovation from the overflow crowd.