QUINCY- The Meyer family farm has been recognized as an Illinois Sesquicentennial Farm by the Illinois Centennial Farms Program.
In 1852, John Titus Meyer and his wife, Pauline, left their home in Ehrenkirchen in Baden, Germany, and came to Quincy. Meyer and his three sons started a custom threshing business in 1854, and 10 years later, on Sept. 28, 1864, they bought 25 acres to begin their own farming operation.
By 1935, Meyer's grandson Edward J. Meyer and his wife, Mary, began a dairy business on the farm and sold dairy products door to door. In 1969, their son Joseph E. Meyer and his wife, Marilyn, began raising Hereford and Angus cattle.
Today the Meyers continue raising corn, soybean and wheat crops, and using conservation practices to protect and preserve the soil, downstream waterways and native wildlife.